It took awhile for the tree ornament concept to evolve into something I could use. I began with a very loooooooonnnng narrow triangle of fabric that I machine gathered down the center with 2 rows of stitches. I glued it to a kebob skewer and added trims.
From there I had the idea of sewing 2 layers of fabric together and threading it onto the skewer. This proved more satisfactory when I stuck the base in a cutoff wine cork and added a wooden star to the top. My biggest discovery was when I tried twisting it on the skewer so it became a 3D tree rather than flat.
I experimented with using green cotton fabric that I stiffened to keep it from fraying. I also tried different weights of interfacing material. I used pinking shears on some, left others plain and slashed the edges on others. I even used green ink to give the appearance of snow tipped branches. Flat backed gem stones make good ornaments and glitter spray gives an all over sparkle.